Following is a collection of books on different aspects of blacksmithing that are available for downloading or reading online.
Official US Government Publications
"A work of the United States government, as defined by the United States copyright law, is "a work prepared by an officer or employee" of the federal government "as part of that person's official duties." In general, under section 105 of the Copyright Act, such works are not entitled to domestic copyright protection under U.S. law and are therefore in the public domain."
"This act only applies to U.S. domestic copyright as that is the extent of U.S. federal law. The U.S. government asserts that it can still hold the copyright to those works in other countries."
"Publication of an otherwise protected work by the U.S. government does not put that work in the public domain. For example, government publications may include works copyrighted by a contractor or grantee; copyrighted material assigned to the U.S. Government; or copyrighted information from other sources."
- Defense Scrap Yard Handbook
- US Navy - Tools and Their Uses
- Blacksmith Practice - EM862 War Department Education Manual, Chapter 18, Blacksmithing Equipment; Forge Fires
- US Navy - Welding and Allied Processes
- DoD Technical Manual - Use and Care of Hand Tools and Measuring Tools
- Basic Blacksmithing - An introduction to toolmaking with locally available materials
by David Harries and Bernhard Heer
- Blacksmith Shop Practice - arrangment and equipment - forging of hooks and chain welding; Machinery's Reference Book 61
- Practical Blacksmithing Illustrated (copyright 1891)
- Forging Manual of Practical Instruction in Hand Forging of Wrought Iron, Machine Steel, and Tool Steel; Drop Forging; and Heat Treatment of Steel, including Annealing, Hardening, and Tempering (copyright 1919)
- Notes for Forge Shop Practice - A Course for High Schools (copyright 1910)
- Decorative Ironwork - some aspects of design and technique
- Farm Blacksmithing (copyright 1901)
- Forge-Practice and Heat Treatment of Steel (copyright 1919)
- Hand Forging and Wrought Iron Ornamental Work (copyright 1911)
- Machinery's Handbook for Machine Shop and Drafting-Room (copyright 1915)
- The Smith's Pocket Companion - containing useful information and tables on iron and steel for the use of Smiths and Steel Workers (copyright 1883)
- Steel Working and Tool Dressing - a manual of practical information for Blacksmiths and all other workers in steel and iron (copyright 1914)
- Text-Book of Advanced Machine Work - prepared for students in technical, manual training, and trade schools, and for the apprentice in the shop (copyright 1915)
- The Complete Practical Machinist: embracing lathe work, vice work, drills and drilling, taps and dies, hardening and tempering, the making and use of tools, tool grinding, marking out work, etc. (copyright 1887)
- Machinery's Reference Series
The Blacksmith's Craft, Ornamental Ironwork, Decorative Ironwork, The Thatcher's Craft, The Blacksmith's Manual Illustrated by Lillico, Catalogue of Drawings: Wrought Ironwork Gates, Catalogue of Drawings For Wrought Ironwork, Catalog of Drawings: Weathervanes
- The Blacksmith's Craft - an introduction to smithing for apprentices and craftsmen
- Blacksmiths Manual Illustrated
- Wrought Ironwork A manual of instruction for craftsman
- Catalog of Drawings - Wrought Ironwork Gates
- Catalog of Drawings for Weathervanes
Gee Mom, look what else I've found!
- Blacksmiths Association of Missouri
I'm always looking for books that have expired copyrights or are in the public domain to add to this list.
If you know of or have any, please email them to me and if I link them I'll give you credit.
|Wisdom of my father: "It takes more of a man to walk away from a fight than to stay and fight."||
Besucherzähler - Homepage